Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Vinyl Cafe

After spending some time reading about literary theory for an assignment, I decided my eyes needed a treat. So, I picked up my trusty copy of Stuart McLean's Secrets from the Vinyl Cafe. I have loved McLean's short stories ever since grade seven when my Humanities teacher read us a hilarious Christmas story of his. I consider Dave and Morley to be my friends. Isn't it funny how that happens when you read a book? Maybe I'm the only one that does that. I don't know. But, I find that my test of a good book is when I get so invested in the lives of the characters that they become part of my life too. I think that's really magical, and I am indeed grateful for writers like McLean who have the ability to do that. I think I'll have to read another story tonight before bed too, just for kicks. 



No comments: