Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

A few weeks ago, I briefly mentioned that I am taking an Art History class this semester. I am so loving it! I've been trying to take this class since my very first semester, but other classes have always come first and pushed it out of the way. But, this year, I wasn't having any of that! I decided I wasn't going to let anything stop me from taking this class -- not even the 8:00 am start! And, I am so glad! I love this class! My professor is so great! He knows so much, and he really makes it captivating. In only three short lectures, I have developed such an appreciation for art. I love it. For the most part, we've been studying paintings with religious significance. For the most part, I get it because I know basic Bible stories, and I am Christian, but on the other hand since the religion of the time (c. 15th century) was Catholicism, there is a lot that I need to learn. Man! I am so, so grateful for the simplicity of the gospel. Sure, it can get complicated, but for the most part, it's basic. I love that. I was thinking about that today, as my professor was explaining all of the symbolism in an altar piece painted by Jan van Eyck. There is so much going on, that it's really hard to get down to the basics. I am grateful for the truths that I know.
But, back to art for a second. Plutarch said, "Painting is silent poetry." That's perfect. That's it exactly. Art is beautiful. It really is poetry without words. Art, in visual form, is like the wonder and beauty of a million of the greatest poems ever written displayed in just a few brushstrokes.
And now, for some reason, I have a great desire to read Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray again. Fabulous book! 


Jan van Eyck's "Man in a Red Turban", 1433

No comments: