Saturday, January 01, 2011

What a Year for a New Year

There is a Scottish tradition that at  midnight, as the new year begins you open your back door to let out the old year and once that door is closed, you open your front door to welcome the new year. Being a Scot, I love my traditions (we have a lot!) and love that my mom taught me this one.
It's been my job to do this ritual for at least the last three or four years and I have to say it is probably one of my favourite things about New Year's Eve (besides the kiss -- which I have to wait another year for!). Doing that just now, I became a little emotional. To me, opening that back door meant getting rid of bitterness and bad habits, loneliness and failures. Opening that front door, I felt a resurgence of hope -- that good things will come. I love having a fresh start. I have so many things that I want to improve on this year, and I am glad for each new day that I can do better.

Happy New Year, friends! I hope that 2011 brings you all the love, joy and happiness that you deserve!
xo

No comments: