Thursday, January 27, 2011

Distance

There are a few songs that have been playing on my iPod, then in my head all week. I tend to go through phases with my music, and rely on certain bands or artists to pull me through certain times of life.
This week, I am in love with anything melodic, full of heart and anything that soothes me.
One of those songs, which is in my head at this moment is Copeland's "Thanks to You". In eight months, it will be my theme song -- it starts with "It's been a long two years / It's time to smile, we've made this far just like you said we would" -- perfect, right?
Anyhow, the moment in the song that strikes me today, goes like this:


"This far from home,
It doesn't feel as far when I know you're doing well. 
Distance is what you make it. 
The distance is what you make it."


It's completely true. I know it's true. The distance is what you make it. My thoughts lately have been really messed up -- messed up in the sense that there is a lot going on in there and I don't always know how to make sense of it. I have become a bit of a worry-wart about the silliest things (sorry mom and girls for my rants the past week). I have had the reminder many times, over and over that I don't need to worry about such things.
That was a little far from what I began with, so let's get back to that. The distance is what you make it. It is. They say that 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'. But, I've learned that that is only true if you let it. So really the distance is what you make it. Distance sucks. I know that, but it's there and I just have to deal with it, and deal with it happily. 

Oh, Copeland. You make my heart flutter.

No comments: