Thursday, June 10, 2010

Twenty-one pet peeves

If you have known me for a while, or have been reading this blog at all you probably know that I am kind of weird. I have a few quirks about me, which includes my pet peeves. I have a lot of pet peeves, and have a few to share with you today. Sounds fun, right?

1. When people use the term "aka" incorrectly. AKA means "also known as" and that is all. It actually drives me a tiny bit crazy when people use it in a sentence when in fact they should say "i.e." or "for example".
2. Dog-earred pages. To me, books are sacred. Yes, I do have some well worn books that have experienced a lot, but they have never experienced a turned down page. That's what bookmarks were made for.
3. Double negatives. My ears cry every time someone says something along the lines of "I ain't got nobody".
4. Spelling errors. I do not profess to be spelling expert, but I do know how to use a dictionary and spell check.
5. Loud chewing.
6. Discovering a new band and feeling like I found something special that is just mine only to hear them played on the radio. I dislike the radio and most mainstream music (though I do make exceptions).
7. Parents who do not watch their children when they are in public. Even though you are in a public place, you are still required to keep an eye on your children (maybe more so!)
8. Finding something I really, really love online and then finding out that it does not ship to Canada. Devastating.
9. Wet socks. I think having wet socks is one of the worst feelings ever.
10. Telling somebody about a fear or phobia that I have only to have them tell me I should "get over it".
11. Having plugged ears. Whenever I get a bad cold, my ears tend to become very tender and often one will become completely plugged. Trust me, it is awful.
12. When I explain my occasional frustrations of being a girlfriend waiting for her missionary and having people tell me they know how I feel because they had a sibling go on a mission. It is not even close!
13. I work in a clothing store, and one of my biggest pet peeves that comes from that experience is when people leave things in a fitting room on the floor. Really? You would think that grown women know how to clean up after themselves.
14. People that smoke with children nearby. I think it is an awful thing when smokers choose to smoke in front of non-smokers, but I can't explain how much I hate it when people smoke near children and babies.
15. Other people's feet. I don't mind my own feet (as long as they are clean) and Justin's feet, but I really don't like it when anybody else's naked feet touch mine.
16. Bad hair days.
17. Another one from work: in my store, our cash desk is in the middle of the store, and there is another counter behind it. It drives me crazy when people walk through that space right behind our cash desk.
18. Insincerity.
19. When originals are not given credit. For example, nearly every Gwen Stefani song from 2007 had a tune that came from another song. Tevye wondered what it would be like to be a rich man before she sang about being a rich girl.
20. Writer's block. Evil, evil.
21. The term "I know exactly how you feel". Nope, you don't. You may understand, or have experienced a similar situation, but you do not know exactly how I feel.

So, there it is. Looking back on the list, I realize I may come across as quite sinister and picky, but I'm not that bad, I promise.

4 comments:

juliane2004 said...

#12. I hear ya, sister. I've been there. Did you know that?

juliane2004 said...

#21! Oops! I didnt read all of them before I commented on #12. I can just say I've been in a similar situation as you, and may have a bit of an idea of what you're feeling.

CASSIE said...

Oh Kristi... I hope we can still be friends because my English is HORRIBLE!!!! Ha Ha ;)

Mandy said...

"I know EXACTLY how you feel" is not really a good phrase to use. Every person is unique and experiences their own personal emotions but to say that you know EXACTLY how someone else feels, it's hard. Example: If your Dad died, I would know how you felt, but I wouldn't know EXACTLY how you felt. Does that makes sense? I think to say, "I know how you feel, or I can relate" is better.

Clothing on the floor is just plain dis-respectful! If you want to leave clothes on the floor, do it in your own home with your own clothes. Not unpurchased clothing items!

Loud chewing is SOOOOOOOO annoying! I know people who chew their gum like cows and it's so distracting!

Great list Kristi! I love it.