Saturday, June 19, 2010

Twenty-one books

Ready for another list, friends? Well, here it is. After spending some much needed time with the lovely books at Chapters on Monday, I felt a list of my favourite books was needed.

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Fabulous, fabulous book. Oh, how I love Francie Nolan. She's pretty much my best book friend.
2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I have been reading this gem since I was about eight years old. I still love it just as much now.
3. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I'm pretty sure that I was the inspiration for this one, though I have not ever been in quite the financial quandary of Becky Bloomwood, I definitely sympathize with her love of shopping.
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Elizabeth Bennett is another one of my best book friends. If you have yet to read this one, do it now!
5. Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster. I remember when my mom read this book to me a few years ago and it was like reading something out of my journals. Another best book friend.
6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The first time I read this novel, I was fifteen and had been grounded during my Christmas break so I stayed in my room and read this all week. It was a good week.
7. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Great, great book. I recommend this one to everyone!
8. Audrey Hepburn: An Elegant Spirit by Sean Hepburn Ferrer. I love Audrey, as you know, and am in love with this bio written by her son. She really had a beautiful life.
9. Charly by Jack Weyland. Such a beautiful story. Get your tissues for this one!
10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. I love every Harry Potter book, but I think this is my fave. Mostly because the Weasley twins have a bigger role.
11. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank. If you have not read this, you must. Right this minute! I remember the first time I read this. I was in elementary in grade four and picked it out at the library when we were choosing a book from each section according to the Dewey Decimal system. Tissues needed for this one too.
12. Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland. Pretty much the only Canadian author I can stand (Margaret Atwood, yuck!). He is so, so talented in his ability to tap into the human mind, especially writing from a woman's point of view in this one.
13. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. I'm not sure how many times I've read this one, but I know I have read it many, many times.
14. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella. Becky Bloomwood in New York. Love!
15. Secrets from the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart MacLean. Not a novel, I know. But his short stories are definitely work a mention.
16. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. I love the Seuss. No life is complete without a little Sam I am.
17. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Definitely worth a read.
18. Wicked by Gregory McGuire. Ever wanted to know the story behind the Wicked Witch of the West, now you have it!
19. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Such a powerful novel! Every time I read it, my heart breaks a little more.
20. On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder. When I was younger (about 7 or 8), I used to read these books all the time. I loved them, but Plum Creek was definitely the favourite.
21. Night by Elie Wiesel. A hard topic to read about, but definitely an amazing book.

Now go read! Now!

No comments: