Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mother Mother

About a week ago, a girl that I went to school with said something on facebook about how she was often judged by her looks and many assumed she wasn't fit to be a mother. She is heavily tattooed and has many piercings. Then she made some comment about not wanting to be a "yuppy soccer mom". And I thought to myself, I want to be a soccer mom. And a basketball, volleyball, ballet mom -- whatever my kids want to do. Just not a hockey mom. I know that I have mentioned before that I am not ready for kids. I'm not. But, I don't think it's too soon to be thinking about what kind of mother I want to be. 
I want to be the kind of mom that reads to her children before they go to sleep. The kind of mom that will teach them to bake and cook, and how to tie their shoelaces. I want to be the kind of mom that will make crafts with her kids and have all of the important times -- and mediocre times -- captured on film and kept in a scrapbook. I want to be the kind of mom that takes her kids to the park, and teaches them how to read. I want to be the kind of mom that introduces her children to the wonderful Audrey Hepburn. I want to be the kind of mom that will play with her kids instead of placing them in front of the TV for eight hours of the day. The kind of mom that stays in love with her husband, and makes sure her kids know how much their parents love each other. I want to be the kind of mom that will be there for her kids when they get home from school. I want to be the kind of mom that will put my children as a priority. Essentially, I want to be like my mom. Even though she did not encourage me to do crafts (I'm a rebel), she was always there for me when I got home from school, ready to talk. My mom is amazing, and I love her very much. I look forward to the day when I get to be a mom and have a part of that miracle. I am so thankful for my mom, and for all of the mothers I have known in my life who have been wonderful examples to me. I know that I will be a better mother because of each of you. 
I love you, mom!

ps. Happy St. Patrick's day, friends! I hope you avoided pinching fingers today!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Beautiful Kristi! Well said! What a wonderful tribute to your mom. And it's because of her, I Am sure, that you will be a GREAT mom!

Susan said...

How did I miss this post?
I love your Mom too.