Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This Charming Man

This morning, I was watching "Regis and Kelly" (my favourite morning show, next to KTLA's morning news), and Kelly was talking about the fact that a lot of men these days are not very gentlemanly, especially when taking a girl out for dinner. She said that the trend has been for men to assume they will go dutch on a date, or even expect a girl to pay. She then said that when she and her husband were dating, it was the opposite and he wouldn't even think twice about being the one to pay.
Of course, this anecdote made me think of my own man. Justin is such a gentleman! He opens doors for me, pays for dinner, holds my hand, walks on the left side of me when we're walking on sidewalk (closest to the street). He tells me I am beautiful, and that he loves me. So, when people say that "chivalry is dead" I want to shout, "No, no it's not!" because I have sufficient evidence for the opposite. I love my gentleman.
While I am on the subject of bragging about my guy, I was reminded of a talk given by President Uchtdorf last year at a CES Broadcast. During this broadcast, President Uchtdorf was talking about the fairy tale that many girls create for themselves when trying to find someone to date or marry. He talked a lot about how these things are really not that realistic, and we shouldn't be so focused on those unattainable things, because it is more important to find a righteous man who will love us and be a worthy priesthood holder. Anyhow, at one point, he relates the story of a girl who comes across a genie who promises to grant her a wish. Of course she wishes for world peace, which the genie says is impossible and insists that this girl asks for something else. She then asks for "someone who is handsome, thoughtful, and has a sense of humor; someone who will help around the house, loves kids, doesn’t watch sports all the time, has a great job, and thinks first about my happiness; someone who will go shopping with me and who can get along with my family". After this request, the genie says that it shouldn't be too hard to do that world peace thing [insert laugh here]. I remember watching this and thinking immediately: that's Justin. Justin is extremely handsome. Justin is incredibly thoughtful. Justin has a wonderful sense of humour. Justin is definitely one that will help around the house (in fact, he would help me with my chores when he would come to visit me). Justin adores kids. Justin, though he loves sports, does not watch them all the time -- or very much at all. Justin does have a great job right now (as a missionary) and will have a great job when he completes his schooling (he's looking at being a nurse). Justin is one of the most selfless people I know and most definitely thinks first about my happiness. Justin loves to go shopping with me. And Justin gets along really well with my family. Yep, I have found the perfect guy. Honestly. I am often dumbfounded as to why I get to be with him. I am just so, so blessed.

I love my man!

1 comment:

GoMo said...

I never met Justin...oh maybe once at David's...but if he's thinking about becoming a nurse I think he's SUPER!! Not that I wouldn't think that anyway... Cause I know you would never be with anyone who wasn't amazing :)