Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Taking Back Sunday

Today, I listened to Taking Back Sunday all day (on my way to work, and on my breaks), and I was reminded of the day that I bought their sophomore album, Where You Want to Be. I was fifteen and had just experienced my first Warped Tour the week previous. I bought the album the day (or soon after) it was released at Best Buy for $9.99. This was in fact the very first album I purchased. And it was then that I began my tradition (that I still keep for the most part today).
When I got home that day I hastily opened the package (oh, how I loath packaging) and placed the CD into my stereo (this was before I had a laptop, obviously, and in fact before the days of iPods). I pressed play, and while sitting on my bed, lyric booklet in hand, I absorbed every note and syllable. I'm quite sure that I listened to that album on repeat for at least a month, loving it more and more each time.
So, listening to it this morning, I was transformed back into that shy, unsure fifteen year old, who was just discovering and creating herself. Taking Back Sunday has been a huge musical influence on me these past seven years (I started listening to them when I was fourteen) and have definitely aided in the shaping of my current musical interest and love.


What was the first album you purchased? Do you still listen to it today?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love Taking Back Sunday!
I think the first CD I bought was the Mulan Soundtrack. haha. The first concert I went to was Savage Garden. Bahahha.