Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Words We Say


boyfriend |ˈboiˌfrend|nouna regular male companion with whom one has a romantic relationship.
That definition just doesn't do it for me. As you may know, I have a great boyfriend and I love him very much. But, lately I've been thinking that the name 'boyfriend' just doesn't express well enough how much he means to me. Boyfriend seems to be such a simple word for what he is. I mean, fourteen-year-olds profess to have boyfriends, and I consider my relationship to be much greater than that of a ninth-grader's. I can't call him my fiancee, because there's a little step missing that would let me call him that. So, there needs to be something in between boyfriend and fiancee. Something to express the commitment that I have towards him, and how much he means to me. So, readers, any thoughts?



What word do I give to the man who means the world to me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno. Best friend? Other half?

Erica said...

Just call him "my man".
As in-"If you met my man you'd wish you'd seen him first" ;>