Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On the Run

I love to run. Absolutely, positively. I am not a great runner, that's for certain. However, I am still happy that I able to enjoy it. 
A year ago (maybe a little more than that), I could barely run around the block without thinking my heart was going to explode. But, over the last nine months or so, I've been able to get back in the habit. And I am so grateful that I have.
Since the weather has been absolutely gorgeous lately, I've been able to take advantage of it and run about three times a week. Ever heard of the runner's high? It's not a myth. Trust me. 
Along my path of being a healthier person, I've learned a few things. Two that seem the most important to me today are consistency and believing in yourself. Consistency has been so key. When I was in junior high, I ran in cross-country meets each year, and raced in a track meet for long distance one year. I was good. But, I didn't realize that I should probably train and continue to run. But, 4 years and 30 pounds later, I realized my mistake. So, last fall after losing some weight just from tweaking my eating habits, I started to run again. I wasn't consistent though. And once the colder months came, I didn't find it hard to quit running just to sleep an extra hour. And, then the spring came. Along with the real spring (which unfortunately came at the beginning of May), came new motivation to start running and to be consistent. So, for three weeks now, I have made an effort to be consistent in my runs, and general exercise. I love it. Completely. It may be inconvenient at times, but that doesn't matter. It's worth it. Next, believe in yourself. Corny, yes. But true. I think that a huge reason for my failures in weight loss and overall health in the past had to do with a lack of confidence. Going for that extra minute makes such a difference. I don't agree with pushing yourself to the complete limit. But, I am now a firm believer in pushing yourself further than you thought you could go. It works. 
I may not be dropping five pounds a week, but that's not what matters. I feel good. And that's better than dropping a dress size to me.



4 comments:

Candi said...

You inspire me, Kristi! I need to start running and take advantage of the sun while it's out :)

Kristi Beth said...

You won't regret it. It's amazing to run in the sun. It's absolutely beautiful!

Kendra said...

I'm impressed :) I HATE to run because it get sooo bored doing it Candi's right ... theres something inspiring about a runner!

Kristi Beth said...

Yeah, I used to find it boring. My trick is good music. That's really what pushes me.