Saturday, February 26, 2011

Memory

Memory is a funny thing, isn't it? My memory is very strongly linked to my senses -- especially smell. Whenever I smell certain things, I am immediately transported back to a certain moment. This doesn't happen every day, but when it does it is powerful.
For instance, today, I was using some of my favourite lotion from Bath & Body Works, and I was instantly somewhere else. It was August. I was at EFY. It was summer. I was wearing my ugly polo. It was awesome.
That made me think about some of my other favourite scents that take me somewhere else. For instance, when I smell my favourite Victoria's Secret lotion (Pure Seduction), it is February 2008. I am shopping with Justin. It is Valentine's weekend. 
And another smell that takes me back is the smell of an older American Eagle lotion that I got as a Christmas present from a friend of mine back in 2007. When I smell that one (because I happened to have a tiny bottle left), it is New Year's Eve. I am in the Marshall's basement in Duffield, getting ready for the dance. My heart is all a-flutter and I have a zillon butterflies in my stomach. 
Memory is a funny thing, isn't it?

No comments: