Monday, August 03, 2009

The Perfect Ending

It’s always an adventure getting to Edmonton. Friday was no exception.
Since both my parents had to work Friday morning, I was on my own to get to the bus station. I checked the bus and train schedules a few times and thought I had it all figured out. I got up super early to make sure I could be ready in time to leave, and give myself some cushion time. And so, my adventure began. I got downtown, and got to the street I thought I was supposed to be on. But, I couldn’t find the right bus stop. So, I kept walking, thinking I’d eventually find it. I did find one with the right number. But then, I saw one heading down the other way. I hadn’t remembered to check which direction I was going! You’d think with how directionally challenged I am, I’d have figured that one out! So, I called Marni, thinking she could check online for me. But, she wasn’t at work yet. But she suggested another way to get there, which I had overlooked. I then called my dad just to make sure it was close enough, and he told me the way to go. So, I walked back to the train, and went a few blocks, then got off. I was praying so hard the entire time that I would be able to find the bus station, and get there on time. And, so I kept walking. Then I got to the right avenue, but couldn’t remember which way to go. I was pretty sure it was one way, so I tried that. I eventually saw the sign, and continued that way. By this time, I believe I had twenty minutes before the bus was scheduled to leave. Needless to say, I was quite a wreck. As I got closer, I couldn’t figure out how to get to the other side of the street, but I just kept walking, hoping I’d see something eventually. And, I did. I just about bawled when I got into the bus station with fifteen minutes to spare! I got in the very long line, and waited to board. When I was two places away from the front, they said the bus was full and they were just getting another one. I didn’t panic, because it’s happened before and didn’t take long. But, it did take long! A very long time! Sitting in a bus station for one hour, waiting to find out when you can leave is not fun. But, alas, I made it onto the bus! Even though the trips to Edmonton are always laden with delays and frustration, it’s always worth it. Seeing Justin’s smile and getting that “I-missed-you-hug” is the best reward - the perfect ending (or beginning.)




No comments: