Thursday, July 16, 2009

Those Good Old Dreams

 I found a few interesting things today in some of my journals and notebooks. I love reading back and seeing what was so important in my life at the time I wrote my thoughts. Some things I found were really funny, some were shocking. So, here's what I found. This first one was dated December 1, 2006. For as long as I can remember, I've always had a plan for my life. It has been that has continually changed, but it's always been there. On this day, I wrote my current life plan. 

My Life Plan
(If money is no problem) June 2007 - graduate high school Summer 2007 - work, go on small road trips, meet "him" Fall 2007 - start school at U of C or Mt. Royal Spring 2008 - go to the states for shopping (maybe Cali or NYC?) Fall 2008 - second year at University, choose History as minor? Summer 2009 - go to Europe
Fall 2009 - third year at university (transfer to U of C or U of A if at MRC) Summer 2010 or 2011 - get engaged Fall 2010 - in fourth year of university Fall/Spring/Summer 2010 or 2011 - get married, go on honeymoon to Europe or Australia
When I found this, I couldn't even remember writing it! Some things didn't happen. Some surprisingly did. I did meet "him" in the summer of 2007. I did start school at U of C in the Fall of 2007. I didn't go to California or New York, and I'm not going to Europe this summer. I didn't choose History as my minor, I chose Psychology. As for the rest... we'll see. The next thing I found was a list of the characteristics I wanted in the man I would marry or date. I believe it was written in 2006, but I'm not positive. It's a laugh, really. 
This is what I thought I wanted in my guy:
- brown, wavy or curly hair
- good taste in music and movies (i.e. mine)
- good sense of humour
- can watch an entire episode of "Gilmore Girls" and laugh at the appropriate parts (and understand why)
- is planning on continuing education (preferably Music, Art, English or History major)
- does not drink or smoke
- knows who Jane Austen is, and be open to reading Jane Austen
- is aware of the art of making mix tapes
- likes Bob and Doug
- good with witty one-liners  
 It's so funny how I thought some things were so important. They're really not. Also, I think my list might have been slightly influenced by Seth Cohen and that I had just read Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. I love reading my old journal entries, because I can really see how I've grown, and how I'm changing. Three years ago, I expected different things. Even though everything hasn't happened the way I'd planned, I am so happy with my life now. I really can never fully express how lucky I am. Oh, and another thing that I found really shocked me. In February 2007, I wrote how unhappy I was with my weight and that I really needed to lose weight. I didn't do anything about it then, but I had all these great plans. Anyway, I wrote down my weight at that time which is almost 25 pounds more than I am today. I couldn't believe it. I am so happy now. Life is amazing. 

No comments: