Monday, October 29, 2012

Lessons Learned

Once again, running has taught me something about life.
On Saturday morning, I competed in a 5K race. Sure, that may not sound like a big deal. This was my third race (the first I've done in over a year), and I am not a stranger to running. However, this race was unlike any other I have competed in.
That morning, Christopher and I were up and ready to go just after 7:00 am so that we could make a stop and Walmart to get some gloves for me and gloves and a toque for Christopher. The forecast had said all week that there would be chance of snow, but I prayed and prayed the night before and that morning that that wouldn't happen. I love to run, but not in the winter. I am strictly a spring/summer/fall runner and avoid running in the winter at all costs. As we drove, I could see snow flying around, and I just kept thinking "I can't do this in the snow!" When we got to the park, the snow had stopped momentarily, but the cold was definitely still around. I felt good, and just wanted to start running so my body would be warm. When the race started, I was got into my zone so to speak, and went for it. As it went on, the wind and snow were in my face, and didn't really seem to stop until I got to the halfway point -- or maybe it stopped slightly after that, I don't quite remember. Anyhow, as I was running into the wind and snow, I thought about how I had prayed that we would have good weather. But, we didn't. I could have thought of this as Heavenly Father not answering my prayer, but then I realized that He answered it in another way. He gave me the strength to get through it, despite what was going on around me.
I find this happens a lot in life. I pray for Heavenly Father to take away a trial that I am facing, but instead He provides me with strength (either my inner strength, or strength from someone around me) so that I can continue on, even when the trial is swirling around me like the cold snow.
I was able to finish the race, and even beat my best time.

Oh, and I feel like I need to clear something up. I'm not a good runner. I'm slow. Like really slow. And it's rare that I reach my goal of three runs of 3-4 miles a week. I feel like some of my previous posts made me seem like a more diligent runner than I am. But, I am working on it! Christopher and I plan to run this same race next fall, and I'm hoping he'll join me for some summer races as well. I really want to do at least one 10K next year, so I better start my training now! I think I am going to be a treadmill runner for the next few months, unless we get some sunny days on the plus side.

No comments: