Wednesday, September 07, 2011

When I Grow Up

I am a grown-up. Seriously. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a grown-up. When I was younger, I wanted to make my own rules and do everything that I wanted to do. I wanted to have my own money, and my own house, and have no bedtime. I thought that would be the life. But in my mind, growing up and getting on to bigger and better things always seemed so far away.
First, I graduated from elementary and went on to junior high. That was scary, but thrilling at the same time, because it meant that I was growing up. Then I went from junior high to high school and that was actually pretty awesome. I thought I was so cool. High school was a blast, and had little to no drama at all. But by the end of that, I was ready for my next move -- university. Though incredibly daunting, university was still a natural shift for me. And I've been in that same phase for a while now.
Since I moved out this summer, I have moved up a level in my grown-up status. Paying rent and bills sucks, but it has taught me a lot of self-reliance and self-mastery. I'm glad for that experience. With the end of my current university career actually sort-of in sight (I have about a year and a half left), I am realizing that I am going to be more of a grown-up that I had expected. Plus, there's that whole marriage and kids thing. I am not at that point yet, but I know that it will be there eventually (don't worry -- I am not engaged, nor will I be soon).
It's just crazy to think that I am at the point that I am right now. I am a full-fledged grown-up. And it's definitely terrifying, yet kind of amazing.

No comments: