Thursday, December 20, 2012

Surprising inspiration

This past week, I have been rereading one of my favourite books, Little Women. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, and found so many little treasures within it that I have never noticed in my many previous readings (I've been reading it since I was eight).
This morning, I came across a passage that blew me away.
Marmee says to Jo,

"My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning and may be many, but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother."

How amazing is that? Now I know why the Prophet and Apostles counsel us to read good books along with our scriptures. Good books can uplift us, and make us want to be better. I had no idea when I started reading this morning that I would find inspiration reading from the words of my friend, Louisa May.

No comments: